Thursday, May 17, 2012

There's No Such Thing as Too Old to Change



I’m not sure I understand the phrase Too Old to Change.  I guess because to me it sounds like defeat.  To me, if I uttered those words, it would mean I was giving up ‘The Possibility Of’.  Which just doesn’t work for me.  I’m a firm believer in possibility.  It is what gives me hope that I can re-create myself at 54, 64 and 74.  That I can change my career and my attitudes.  It is what allows me to participate in activities and adventure sports that usually attract people more than half my age.  ‘The Possibility Of’ is my lifeline to contentment.
This morning, I stumbled across this excerpt from a great piece about change by Madison Taylor, of The Daily OM, in which she states:
"The good news is that the part of us that was not adequately nurtured is still there, inside us, like a seed that has not yet received the sunlight and moisture it needs to open and to allow its inner contents to unfurl. It is never too late to provide ourselves with what we need to awaken this inner being."
So many times Change is viewed as overwhelming because we think that we are starting from scratch, that we are beginning with nothing, needing to search out each and every building block, laboriously carrying 1000’s of bricks across a great expanse, arduously stacking one on top of another, brick by brick, waiting for the mortar to harden before we can move on.  That image of change is heavy, confining, overwhelming and endless. 
Imagine instead, as Ms. Taylor suggests, that seeds for change already rest within us, dry and dormant, ready for nourishment and love?   Imagine Change is as light as a feather, a dandelion seed blowing in the wind of our spirit just waiting to land, to be warmed by our self love, nurtured by our dreams and desires, allowed to bloom into a gorgeous, yummy yellow beauty of nature? How much more likely we would be to consider making a change, to open the door to the unknown, if we viewed it as a natural , and existing part of our being, a treasure trove of undiscovered possibilities, hidden in our heart, waiting to be taken out and polished up to a glorious, luster filled shine? Change would become an effortless flow to eternal happiness.


What holds you back?  What can you do to view change in a more positive, manageable light?  I'd love to hear from you.  

4 comments:

  1. We are lucky when change is a choice instead of a 'forced march' due to illness, but either way thinking of it as 'morphing into' instead of 'away from' from has helped me with the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the perspective of morphing into instead of 'away from'. So many times it's the choice of words we use that makes the difference.
      Thanks for this great insight. Lisa

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful post. It's exactly what i needed to hear, as I am currently having a very hard time making changes in my life. Simple changes! There are two conflicting forces in me: the part of me that really WANTS to go to bed earlier, or take a short walk each day, or drink more water ... vs. this other (stronger and very determined) part of me that throws up impenetrable walls between me and the change; walls I can't climb over or around and I can't push through. I can even feel the resistance in my chest.

    Some of this fight to avoid change could be a factor of living with chronic illness (I really related to hideaheart's comment) -- comfort and security are both sorely needed, and even unhealthy routines provide that comfort of sameness.

    But your words have given me a new way to look at change -- I can actually feel a sigh of relief in me when I picture change as "light as a feather" and "a dandelion seed blowing in the wind of our spirit." I love the Daily Om quote too. I am going to print it out and tape it on my wall! Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen,
      I'm so happy to have provided a feather-light alternative for you. Although I do not suffer from a chronic illness I can empathize with how confining it must feel. I believe when you are able to make even the smallest change you will be amazed at how much easier it was than you thought. AND...the benefits of being empowered to make a change is huge! Good luck.

      Delete