Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I am a Spirited Woman



I used to think I was just weird, a square peg in a round hole, an anomaly amongst my own gender.  As a young girl I liked to play hard, run fast, jump high and throw a ball as fast as the boys, activities that were frowned upon by the adults of the day.  I was always too loud, too rambunctious, and too outspoken to be successful as a girl.   I tried my hardest to make myself smaller... ‘less than’ what I was, desperately seeking to fit in, to get ‘It’ right. Now, as a ripe, bodacious woman in her mid 50’s I have come to value all those big traits as the essential me.  I let it all hang out!  I’m loud when I want to be, rambunctious when the spirit moves me.  I love hard core sports activities like snowboarding, bouldering, and my newest joy long boarding, all of which attract, almost exclusively, 18 - 30 year old young men, and I'm OK with that.  I AM a Spirited Woman, and I’m damn proud of it.


Being a Spirited Woman means that I get to be me... the me that’s always been inside pushing and shoving, trying desperately to come out and play.  Sometimes I’m all girly, feminine and pink.  I love high heals, high fashion, and makeup (even if I don’t wear any of these things anymore).  I’m all soft and mushy when it comes to feelings.  I cry at game shows when someone wins, have rescued stray puppies, and I’ll do just about anything to see a toddler smile.  Those are my traditional feminine qualities.  The ones that were OK to possess.  
Being a Spirited Woman also means the rough and tumble me gets to come out whenever I want her to.  In the last 7 years I’ve taken to mountain biking, pump track riding, rock climbing, road cycling, skate boarding, and snowboarding.  I leave the froo-froo me at home, donning helmets, pads, grungy pants, frequently ending up cut, scratched and generally black and blue.  I’ve even broke my wrist...twice.  
But, that’s the beauty of being a Spirited Woman.  There’s no right or wrong.  There’s no rules at all.  A Spirited Woman can decide for herself how she is going to honor that title. She can delight in her femininity and revel in her down and dirty adventurous nature. For me a Spirited Woman is bold and bodacious, ready for fun every damn day of her life.
Honored to be on The Spirited Woman Top 12 Summer Solstice Pick List

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Lisa. Way to go. Thank you so much for honoring the concept of being a Spirited Woman. When I began Spirited Woman, as a woman's empowerment community over 10 years ago, I had no idea it would turn into such a huge movement of like-minded souls. My original message to share was and is: YOU ARE ENOUGH AS YOU ARE! So true for us all. And of course that Spirit, that essence always lives within you and is your passion. We're so happy to have you on our Top 12 Pick List. All my best, Nancy Mills, Founder, Creator, The Spirited Woman http://www.thespiritedwoman.com

    ReplyDelete