Friday, August 10, 2012

The Power of the Tiara



A long time ago, my mother told me a story about a young mother named June Barry that used to live behind us.  She was probably in her early 30’s, had a gaggle of very little kids,  and her husband, who was a commander in the military, was gone all the time.
Mom said she could always tell when June  was having a bad day or her kids were acting up because she would look out our back window and there would be June dressed like a queen.  
Bedecked in cape and tiara, June suddenly was transformed into a queen, a person of royalty that all subjects must obey.  And, they did. The kids suddenly did what they were told without a word of challenge.  Chores were done, naps were taken, hands were washed without dissent.  
I was always fascinated by this story, by the creative use of imagery to gain power over a situation.   it’s interesting to me that, as an adult woman, she couldn’t have the same control over her kids without the tiara.
The tiara held great power.  It made her feel differently about herself.  It made her communicate differently with her kids.  It made her kids view her with more respect.
I love the story of the tiara.  I love the power it gave this tired, overextended mom.  I love that she could put it on and stepped into a role, and carry it off.  It gave her confidence and courage.  She believed something about herself that she hadn’t before.  All because of a tiara.
I bought a tiara about 5 years ago, and put it to a similar use.  That’s a story for another time.  BUT, I highly recommend owning one.  
When I first put mine on, I have to admit felt a little silly. But, I looked in the mirror and said ‘I am the queen of all I see.  All who are before me must obey me’.  I gotta admit it was powerful.  
It gave me the courage to expect more from those in my household.  It provided me the opportunity to see myself in a different light.  I had to wonder why a bejeweled plastic hairband, pretty as it was, changed who I was?  
It was because I believed in the tiara.  I know it’s hokey but, I believed in it’s power.  With the tiara on I had the courage to state my desires and no one would think I was selfish.  I had the courage to stand up to my teenage sons and expect better behavior...after all, no one dis’s the queen.  I had the power to put myself first.  Because i was the queen of the land.

I still believe in the magic of my tiara.  Every now and then a situation arises that I need to be more courageous. I need to speak up for myself.  I need to voice my desires.  I take a moment, and I imagine my beautiful tiara on my head and that, once again, I am the queen of all that I see, and all who are before me must obey me. It’s like magic!
So if you could use a little magic in your life, go out to JoAnns. Look in their bridal department, and buy a beautiful tiara.  Don’t buy a cheesy one.  You’ll feel like a cheesy queen.  
Start wearing it around the house.  Look in the mirror A LOT, while wearing your tiara.  Become the Queen.  Call on the power of the tiara to give you confidence when you feel you don’t measure up, when you need to state your desires,  when you are being disrespected and need to be heard.  
Carry yourself like a queen and, like June Barry’s children, people will treat you like a queen. 
___

Do you have an article of clothing, or an imaginary attitude you adopt to get you through a rough situation?  We'd love to hear about.  Please feel free to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment