Thursday, August 2, 2012

What I See When I Look At You


It’s time.  I have watched from the side lines and waited for it to happen.  I see glimmers now and then, breakthrough moments, like the sunshine peeking through the clouds after a storm.  But, I want more. I want to feel the awakening, like the boom of the grand finale at the fireworks display on the 4th of July.  I want to feel the celebration as if John Phillip Susa is leading an elegantly clad marching band right through main street, trumpets blaring and cymbals crashing.  Just like the brightest beacon on the tallest lighthouse.  I want to see you shine.  Because, it’s time.
I look around me every day and I see women that are magnificent, bold, bodacious creations, full of compassion, creativity, intelligence and love.  I see this in you, even though you don’t see it in yourself.  I don’t see the cupcakes you baked that are lopsided, the kitchen floor that wasn’t washed.  I don’t see the presentation that wasn’t perfect, or the 20 extra pounds you think you need to lose.  I just don’t see you that way.  And I wish, more than anything, that you could see yourself the way I do. 
I see a woman that juggles a career, a family and the PTA, working 24-7 towards the happiness of others.  I see an entrepreneur who is so passionate about her work, and her client’s success that she finds little time for herself, never recognizing the impact she is having on the world.  I see a cancer survivor who worked the entire time she went through treatment, who looked death in the face and boldly said ‘Not now! I still have too much to do.’  I see women, everyday, living amazing lives, doing phenomenal things, yet continuing to find themselves lacking, still finding fault with themselves.  And, it hurts me.  It hurts all of us.
It’s time we put aside the black 'Ruler of Doom’ that is forever measuring our ‘failures’
and embrace our beauty, courage and devotion with our whole hearts. Until we can acknowledge our own worth as individuals we can’t move forward, individually or globally.  Our power lies in our combined energy, our collective belief in our abilities, grace, creativity, and intelligence....in our perfection, just the way we are.
So, the next time you think ‘I’m not good enough’ remember this.  We are all counting on you to dispel that myth.  We are relying on you to see yourself the way we see  you, and openly acknowledge it.  Embrace it!  We are standing beside you, behind you and in front of you, basking in your fabulosity!  Don’t let us down.  We see your beauty and light.  Please take the time to see it in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment