Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Joy of a Letter


Today, I am overwhelmed by how easy it is to have a positive impact on someone’s life.  Generally, when we think about helping others we think about the big picture, feeding hungry children in 3rd world countries, housing the homeless in our own home city, big things that require big money and big time.  At least, I do.  Yes, I’m familiar with the ‘smile at a stranger’ practice. But, that’s simple, it comes naturally to me.  I just don’t think of those kinds of things when I think of helping out my fellow man.  I always think it has to be big.

That has all changed now.  Today, I know for a fact that I impacted someone’s life with a very simple act.  I am part of a letter writing project that connects women on the ‘outside’ with women in prison.  Two weeks ago, like a nervous teen on a first date, I wrote, and sent, my first letter.  I agonized over what to say and how to say it, wanting so desperately to make a good impression and to give my pen pal a feeling of welcoming comfort and support.  I wanted to make a friend.
Once sent, I’ve waited on pins and needles wondering ‘Did she get it?’  ‘Did I make her uncomfortable?’  ‘Did I ask the right questions, say the right things?’  I have waited to hear something, anything to find out if we were really going to connect.
Today, the coordinator of the project posted the impact of my letter.  She relayed that my pen pal has been suffering from depression due to feelings of detachment with the outside world.  Receiving my letter brought her such joy that the she practically bounced into the meeting room, she was so ecstatic with the connection she and I were making. Apparently, she held the letter next to her heart,  grinning through their entire group gathering.
As you can imagine, being that I am such a watering pot, this brought tears to my eyes.  I was just writing a letter.  Yes, I took the time to buy beautiful stationary. Wanting to give my P-pal something pretty for her dull, drab cell I chose some of the most beautiful boxed cards I have ever seen. They have an ornate collage of gorgeous birds and flowers etched in gold, the coordinating envelopes worthy of hanging in a museum.  I imagined her joy at receiving something so lovely, hoping their beauty would portray how important this was to me.  
Between purchasing the cards and writing the letter I invested maybe a total of 45 minutes.  Forty five minutes and $5.99 to dramatically impact someone’s day!  Who knew it could be that easy?  Had I known, I would have found a pen pal, of one sort or another, a long time ago.
If you would like to bring joy to someone through letter writing here are 2 sites I found online that connect people at home with our people in the military.   Many of our service men and women don’t have families or friends at home that write to them.  Much like my pen pal, these individuals are just like you and me.  They want to feel like they belong, like someone cares what happens to them.  They want to connect.
With 20 minutes, a sheet of paper and a stamp you can have a dramatic positive impact on someone’s life, just like I did.  It requires so little, and will bring you both such joy.
Letter writing to our troops
A Million Thanks - http://www.amillionthanks.org/send-letter-guidelines-get-started.php 
Soldiers Angels - http://soldiersangels.org/letter-writing-team.html

4 comments:

  1. Reading your blog post brought me such joy reading about the difference the letter made in both of your lives. Thanks for sharing Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth
    Thanks so much for your heartfelt share. I think of you often when simple things make a big difference :-) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!

    I am looking forward to hearing from my letter writing partner who is in the same prison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Andrea. I know we are all so excited to be a part of this project and make those connections! Lisa

    ReplyDelete