Sunday, June 19, 2011

One Woman’s Affirmation

Among all the things that I have disliked about myself over the years, one of the most challenging to deal with, has to be that I have never liked that I was a woman. 
As a young girl, the phrase ‘little girls don’t do that’ meant there was a whole world out there that was not available to me.  This perceived prison established a theme for the rest of my life, worming it’s way into the nooks and crannies of my psyche.  Having nurtured this burden into my adulthood, I believed my womanhood had prevented me from being as physically capable as my male counterparts.
Today, I acknowledge this entire mindset to be false.  The only thing that has ever prevented me from being all that I can be, including being a fantastic athlete, is me.  That’s not to say that I could have been an Olympic athlete, had I tried.  It just means that I never took myself seriously as an athlete.  I never dedicated myself, and my energy, to being the best athlete that I could be.  Because, it was not my calling.  It was not my passion.  I didn’t have ‘what it takes’ to be a high performance athlete.  And now, I accept that.
Today, I acknowledge all the wonder that comes from being a woman.  The best, most memorable experiences of my life have come to pass because I am a woman.  I vow, from this day forward to embrace my birth right.
 My Affirmation
I am happy being a Woman.
I am the best that I can be,
Because I am a Woman.
I can do anything, achieve anything
Because I am a Woman
I embrace my Woman’s body and it’s abilities,
my Woman’s thoughts,
my Woman’s heart.
I am a Woman, and I love it

No comments:

Post a Comment