Friday, June 10, 2011

Women By My Side

It seems that all of my life I have been searching for a place to fit in.  To belong.  I’m not saying I haven’t had friends.  I have, and some were really great ones.  But, the need was always bigger than onesy-s and twosy-s.   I realize now, what I wanted was a community. 
And, although I adore the 3 men in my life, (husband and 2 sons - for those of you who’s minds are whirling with curiosity at the secret life I might be leading), and I really like the male species as a whole, the community that I wanted was that of women.
Women’s empowerment author Barbara Wilder writes ‘...as teenagers (girls) we have few girlfriends with whom we truly feel safe...This comes from our long history of having to compete for men (mates).’  Whether it is this biological hardwiring that prevents us from rallying around each other in our youth, or a passion for fashion (insert much eye rolling), it seems young girls and women are filled with the biological frenetic energy of nesting, of creating and establishing their little corner of the world.  This is how it should be, for the survival of mankind.  
But, I am a bodacious woman in my 50’s.  I am done nesting.  I have found a mate, and had children.  My nest is now empty!  My biological frenetic energy is ka-put!  I find now, more than ever, the soul searing hunger for a life long woman-fest has become a desire so strong it can no longer be ignored.  I need women in my life, and I need them now! 
Fortunately for me, as the power of my clarity has exploded, I find that I am surrounded by other fantastic feminine beings, most in there late 40‘s and older, who all want the same thing!  Hooray!  Let the wild, but totally feminine, rumpus begin!  I am caught up in a world of tiaras, tea parties, and pink fluffy things, embraced by women who are all reaching out to each other, arms wide, hearts open, saying ‘how can I help you?’  ‘What can I do to support you?’  ‘What do you need to realize your dreams?’
And from the soft, bedraggled voice of my heart,  I say ‘you!  I just need you.’  I need to feel accepted and embraced by you.  For now I realize that my dreams will become a reality when a community of bold, bodacious women stand beside me, and we join our feminine powers to create a nurturing, supportive environment within which each of us can acknowledge our inner beauty and greatness, and  become all that we were meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment