Friday, November 25, 2011

Kiss, My New Holiday Mantra

Every year, right around Thanksgiving we start talking about putting up our Christmas decorations and tree, a much anticipated, joyous event.  But last year, something was very different.  As my husband excitedly talked about getting out the holiday boxes I had an anxious, sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, resembling something like dread. 
I took an opportunity to examine the feeling, turning it this way and that, testing theories and hypothesis for indicators of the origin.  ‘I love Christmas’ I thought.  ‘I love the music, the baking, the day of family games...the whole damn thing.  I love it all.  So, why the stomach ache?’
I pushed rewind on the Christmas’ Past memory button, focusing on the previous year, searching for indicators of unease and unrest.  I examined the ‘putting up’ part, finding it offered little trepidation. I had been cutting back on the decorations over the years, whittling it down from daunting, 7 large, tupperware containers, housing yards of garland, pillow covers, towels, rugs, window treatments, wall hangings and more, to a seemingly sparse holiday display of 30 Santas, 6-8 decorative candles with corresponding holiday holders, 2 wreaths, a Precious Moments nativity set (received on our first Christmas together) and a half dozen pillows.  Of course, there was still the 7ft artificial tree with 100’s of lights, and 150 ornaments to be put up, an absolute essential to any self-respecting celebrator of The Holiday Extraordinaire!. Our current level of decorating seemed to have been streamlined down to the bare bones of holiday cheer.  And, being as the snowboarding season doesn’t start until December, there was plenty of time for the requisite unpacking and arranging.  
No...it wasn’t the setting up that was sticking in my craw...  It was the taking down that was causing the nausea.  The previous winter, due to our traditional 4 days a week of snowboarding from December until March, the boxes had become a permanent part of our living room/family room decor, the tree half up, half down, the Santa collection divided between container and shelf, the wreaths, nativity, pillows and candles all suffering a similar fate.  I just didn’t have the time to pack it all up and put it away.  So, there it all sat.  A permanent reminder of failure and poor time management.
Never one to be stuck in a rut, I pondered my options.  I could throw up my hands and turn it all over to my husband.  But, that hardly seemed fair.  I did enjoy looking at the house all gussied up for the holiday.  The question kept circling in my head.  What can I do to change how I feel.  Change was the obvious answer.  But, change what?  And, how much.  
Enlightenment struck hard and fast!  WIth quiet trepidation, knowing how my husband hates change, I offered up a solution, the pure simplicity of which paralyzed me with wonder and awe.  ‘What if our only decoration was a 4ft. pre-potted, pre-lit tree.  I could buy 2 new boxes of balls, and some big bows.  We could set it up in the living room.  When we decide it’s time to take it down we’ll throw a gigantic bag over the whole thing, balls and all, and shove it in the basement until next year?‘  I waited for the ‘Nope!’ I was sure to come.  And, it did.  
Undaunted, because I’m nothing if not tenacious, I offered ‘What if I put it all up, we look at it for a few days, if you don’t like it, I’ll pack it all back up and take it back?  Then, we can go back to our regular tree, the Santas, candles, and pillows...knowing that it may just sit there until March, when we get time to put it away.’  Ever the consummate compromiser, The Man said ‘yes’. Eureka!
I won’t bore you with the details, other than to say the story has an extremely happy ending.  I got the tree, and he loved it.  The second week of January, when we decided we were done with the holidays, we hosted a BYO Dessert - First Annual Bagging of the Tree Party.  As predicted, the tree was bagged and away in a mere 1.5 minutes.  No boxes, ladders, or bubble wrap required.  It was the best holiday ever!  EVER!
This year, as that time approaches, I find I have a stomach ache, yet again.  However, this time it’s one of freedom and excitement.  I can’t wait to take out my beautiful 4ft pre-lit, pre-potted, pre-decorated tree, knowing that there are no ladders to be climbed, boxes to be unearthed, bubble wrap to be wrestled with, setting up, taking down and packing away.  I am reveling in the simplicity I have infused into my holiday season.  I am free to enjoy the decorations, lights, festivities, and parties in stores, street corners, and friends houses without gloomy feelings of being overwhelmed and overextended tainting the most wonderful time of the year.
K.I.S.S is my new motto for the holidays.  Keep It Simple Sweetie!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Lisa, it is so wonderful to find someone else who knows my secret. I have had a little tree, 3 feet with base, placed up high on a buffet, due to large VERY active dogs, for about 3 years. I have felt a little guilty about putting my little tree in a bag and down into the basement, BUT this year I also decorated wreaths for each room in my house and decorated grape vine wreaths for the outside of our house (along with two silver and two lime green large sequeened trees which go on our portch). After January 6th, Kings Day, they will each go on a cardboard base and into a bag and into the basement. I, like you, am planning on next Christmas's decorating taking no longer than 1/2 hour! Hurrah for you! Hurrah for me! BL

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was wonderful!! thank you for sharing. I could relate to what you were feeling and couldn't quite put my finger on it and this year has been the worse. Our decorations are 1/2 unpacked, my house is cluttered and I'm stressed over it all. Happy New Year!! KT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since we started spending Christmas at the beach we haven't had a tree or any other decorations at home. I felt bad at first then I realized that it was because I thought I was supposed to do those things. I personally don't miss them as I would only spend a minute with them anyway. Holidays bring up so many "shoulds." A cousin told me recently that she cut back on her Christmas card list this year and got more cards than ever. And she felt bad about not sending more. I told her that I think we should send cards to those we want and if we receive cards from those we didn't send to...be grateful but not guilty. My Mother used to keep a list and if she received a card and hadn't sent one to that person she quickly penned and mailed a card to them. If she sent a card and didn't receive one...they were off the list next year. I learned some of these holiday "shoulds" at the foot of a master and it has taken decades to unlearn. I'm getting there. Thanks for the reminder Lisa. GR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby and I decided to spend Christmas at the ocean so I didn't put up a tree this year. I thought about sending cards and decided not to do that either and I feel great. I am grateful without guilt for say Yes to me! Happy Holiday Sheroes!! CH

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped decorating after my second divorce and transitioning into single motherhood. It was just too much to add and we always spend the holidays at my family's houses. Away with Christmas cards which I was never diligent with anyway. I didn't feel guilty because my holidays were less stressful. After all, we still had to pack and travel and that's enough. Last year I decided after a break for several years to decorate my new house; this time with the help of my two teenagers. We put on some holiday music and had lots of fun. This year son has moved away and daughter is too busy so it didn't happen. That's okay, cause I am spending the week with them at my brother's nicely decorated house. Next year I might give the small tree a shot!

    ReplyDelete